The Broadside

Spring/Summer 2012

In this issue-

NJ flags

School writings

Trial of King George for Tyranny


Pension Account

Dutch "koolslaw" recipe

NJ flags by Glenn Valis

  US flag, 1777                            Gadsden flag

NJ did not have an official state or colony flag until the late 1890's.  We do know the militia did sometimes use flags, because Royal Gov. Franklin  wrote they appeared outside his mansion with colors flying and drums beating.  Later, Continental units had a NJ flag of some type, according to the official NJ flag web site:

On March 23rd, 1779 during the war of the Revolution, the Continental Congress, by resolution authorized and directed the Commander-in-Chief to prescribe the uniform, both as to color and facings, for the regiments of the New Jersey Continental Line.

In accordance with this resolution, General Washington, in General Orders dated Army Headquarters, New Windsor, New York, October 2nd, 1779, directed that the coats for such regiments should be dark blue, faced with buff.

On February 28th, 1780, the Continental War Officers in Philadelphia directed that each of said regiments should have two flags, viz: one the United States flag and the other a State flag, the ground to be of the color of the facing. Thus the State flag of New Jersey became the beautiful and historic buff, as selected for it by the Father of His Country, and it was displayed in view of the combined French and American armies in the great culminating event of the War of the Revolution, the capitulation of a British army under Lieutenant General Earl Cornwallis at Yorktown.

  The NJ state seal was adopted in May of 1777.  It forms the center piece of the NJ flag today.

 Unfortunately, the flag is buff, and so is my site page background.

The seal is classic symbolism of heraldry.  Here is what the state web page says about it:

New Jersey's state seal was designed by Pierre Eugene du Simitiere and presented in May, 1777, to the Legislature, which was then meeting in the Indian King Tavern in Haddonfield.

The three plows in the shield honor the state's agricultural tradition. The helmet above the shield faces forward, an attitude denoting sovereignty and thus particularly fitting for one of the first governments created under the notion that the state itself is the sovereign. The crest above the helmet is a horse's head.

The supporting female figures are Liberty and Ceres, the Roman goddess of grain, symbolizing abundance. Liberty, on the viewer's left, carries the liberty cap on her staff. Ceres holds a cornucopia filled with harvested produce.

Although the Seal's major elements have kept their relative positions for more than 200 years, there have been a number of lesser changes. The staff that Liberty now holds with her right hand she once held in the crook of her left arm. While the female figures now face straight ahead, they at one time looked away from the shield. The cornucopia that Ceres now holds upright was once inverted, its open end upon the ground. The Seal was redesigned in accordance with Joint Resolution 8 of the Laws of 1928. It was then that the year of statehood, 1776, first appeared in Arabic figures.

Heard's Brigade, wanting a battle flag for some events, created a flag based on the supposition that an early NJ flag would have used symbols from the seal- they chose a horse and plow.  It does seem possible, even likely, but is not a recreation.  But it is a nice looking flag, with historic elements.  The 1st NJ uses similar symbols on their flag, but they have thirteen stars in the corner.

School writings by the Luvera boys- (pictures and all).

The Dawn of a New War
Joshua Luvera

In 1775 William Dawes was walking warily toward Lexington Green. The moon shone brightly down on the Green, which was crowded with minutemen. His horse had thrown him a few miles back.

 He was bruised, hungry, and thirsty so he proceeded straight to the tavern. It was dark and empty except for a man sleeping in the corner. He smelled the stale smoke and walked over to the fireplace.  He helped himself to a serving of corn chowder, salted pork and a piece of stale cornbread. After his meal he felt drowsy and dozed off.  When he woke up he surveyed the tavern full of minutemen, who were warming themselves with fire and drink.
 Suddenly, the door flew open. Crash! Everyone turned to behold the audacious new arrival, Paul Revere.  “The British are advancing!” he announced vehemently before he ran upstairs.  As William watched the minutemen arm and prepare themselves, he thought about how his adventure began.

About 10 o’clock last night, he was called to Dr. Warren’s house.  The doctor told Dawes that the British were marching toward Concord to destroy the ammunition stores.   He coaxed William to warn the citizens. Immediately, Dawes departed for Concord. He walked down the main street and through the southern gate.  He stopped for a brief chat with the British soldiers, flanking the south gate, so as not to arouse suspicions, and then he continued home.  At home, William headed toward the stable and saddled his horse.  After he mounted his horse, he set out for Concord.  The perilous road wound south and west before circling north towards Lexington.  He passed Cambridge but did not stop because he spotted the glow of the British lanterns in the East. He urged his horse to run faster!  When he arrived at Lexington, he stopped at Mr. Clark’s house.  There he found Paul Revere. After they refreshed themselves, they continued on to Concord.  On the way, they met Dr. Prescott, who offered to help warn the colonists. Thus the party of three endeavored to alarm the minutemen along the road from Lexington to Concord.

 They were halfway to Concord when they saw a British Patrol coming towards them. William tricked the British by pretending to be a loyalist.  He cunningly convinced the British Patrol that Prescott and Revere were the militiamen; therefore they pursued Revere and Prescott.  The British patrol captured Paul, but Dawes and Prescott escaped.  Meanwhile William hid in an abandoned, secluded house till the British were gone. Once the danger subsided, he set out to return to Lexington. On the way back he was thrown from his horse, hence he had to walk back to town.
Abruptly, he heard incessant beating drums, which were calling the men to assemble.  The militiamen rushed out of the tavern. Then Paul came down the stairs dragging a huge wooden trunk and told him that the British were approaching.  He followed him outside and observed that the militiamen were lined up on the other side of the Green along Harrington Road. Meanwhile, the British infantry were lining up oppositely off to his left.   Without delay Dawes walked quickly along Bedford Road toward the stables to get a better view.  The 5th light infantry marched briskly past him and fell in behind the other British lines.  Across the field and along the main street, Major Pitcairn shouted, “Disperse ye Rebels, throw down your arms and disperse!”  The indignant militiamen refused! There was much chatter and confusion among them when Captain John Parker ordered them to disperse. William watched the chaos as the militiamen began to retreat over fences and stonewalls.  Suddenly, someone fired a shot!  He did not see who discharged first, but he did hear the distinct sound of a pistol. Then two more shots were let off and then he heard a continual roar of muskets.  As the sun rose higher in the sky, the militia fired at the British, while the British fired continuously at the retreating militia. Soon the bright sunlit field turned grey with smoke and he smelled the acrid black powder.

 After the smoke cleared, eight militiamen were dead and more were wounded on the field. William watched as Dr. Warren arrived on horseback and began to tend the wounded.  Lexington Green was now desolate. The militia had dispersed.  The British marched toward Concord. At that moment, William realized that on this morning he had just witnessed the start of a war! 

The Attack of the Rebels
John Paul Luvera


 It was humid and a little chilly, as Major John Pitcairn and his men marched diligently toward Concord. The road, muddy and flanked with freshly ploughed fields, passed through Lexington.  Outside of Lexington, men approached them on horseback.  They were the officers, who had captured Paul Revere. Anxiously, they told Pitcairn that about 500 men were waiting for them at Lexington Green to stop their progress to Concord.  Hence Major Pitcairn ordered his men, “Arm your weapons and fix your bayonets”.  Once their weapons were prepared, Pitcairn mounted his horse and led his men. They marched on to Lexington.

As he rode his horse, Pitcairn remembered how the imperative mission started. Colonel Smith woke him up abruptly and ordered him to assemble the men at the Common.  After he had lined them up, Colonel Smith informed them that the rebels were stockpiling weapons and ammunition in Concord.  “These supplies must be destroyed! We march to Concord tonight!” exclaimed Major Pitcairn.  Discreetly, they left the Common. Next, he marched them down to the docks where they rowed across the shallow bay.  On the north shore, they disembarked and continued their campaign to Concord. At this time he did not fathom that there was about to be trouble along the way.

When Pitcairn arrived at Lexington green, he spotted 77 militiamen.  He was appalled to observe such a little force against him.  He did not want to provoke the militiamen therefore he bellowed, “Disperse you rebels, throw down your arms and disperse!” The rebels began to disappear over fences, around walls and behind trees.  Suddenly, a rebel fired a shot.  Pitcairn’s marines started to fire at the colonials, while he continuously shouted, “Seize fire!” But they did not hear him over the roar of muskets.  At first the militia mistakenly thought the redcoats were shooting blanks until several fell over dead.  So the militia fired back! Realizing that they were outnumbered and out matched, the militia retreated.  The British, who were now free to advance, set off to Concord leaving behind the acrid stench of gunpowder.  Resolutely, Pitcairn marched his marines onward to complete his orders.  In Concord Pitcairn’s men destroyed as much of the supplies and ammunitions, as they could find. Then they hustled back to Boston.
On the way back to Boston, the militiamen viciously attacked the British soldiers from behind trees, fences or walls.  A bullet grazed Pitcairn’s horse and he was thrown. Thus, he had to walk the rest of the way back to Boston alongside his men.

  On his walk back, Pitcairn thought about this fateful day. The inevitable had happened!  The colonials fired on the British! The rebels would not be subdued!  They attacked the British and now they could not be reconciled without a fight! 

The Trail of King George for Tyranny

The unit does a nice skit for the public, having a trial of King George (an effigy) for his tyrannical actions.  It is funny, George being pompous, rude, insulting and obviously guilty- and the members watching urk on the crowd.
  here is a video on Youtube of two of our young men doing the skit:

Alex and Ray do a good job...Ray even manages a Brit accent!


Standing orders from the Commander:   Safety is the most important part of our reenactment life.  We don't want members or others to get hurt.  If we do not act safely, we lose our chance to reenact at all.  We could lose our ability to field with other units, have our insurance go up, even cause the entire insurance system for the hobby to get more expensive.
    In the field, men at arms must make sure the arrive to formations with weapons functional, ready and safe.  You can not carry cartridges in your pockets.  Cartridges must not contain over 120 grains of powder.  You should be using 100 grains or less.  Spare cartridges should be in a tin, or aluminum foil in your pack/haversack/bag.
   Handle your weapon safely. Make sure your barrel extends well out in front of the front rank.  Bring it to the shoulder to fire. Never fire past someone- even if they can't be hit, you can damage their ears. Don't actually point it at anyone- aim just over their heads.  KNOW if your gun fired.  Double loading is a safety error, and one you announce to everyone.  If you put over two loads down the barrel, recoil can now hurt you or someone else!  I have seen broken collarbones from it on the field!  Smoke will stream from the touch hole if your musket fired.  If you are not sure, dump before reloading.
   In camp we are required to have a water bucket near the fire, and a wool blanket nearby for firefighting.  Don't let the public near a fire.  You can make a simple 'wall' by putting logs or equipment to block access.  People hesitate to step over things.
   Be careful with edged tools, and don't let the public handle unsheathed blades.  Never hand over a firelock to the public- keep a hand on it.  That is not just for safety but is the law...handing someone a firearm who does not have a FIREARM ID card is illegal in NJ.  If by chance they are stupid and hurt themselves or others, you can be charged.
   Hot metal pots, fire and cutting implements are all potential hazards.  Be safe in camp as well as the field!  Make it a habit to never touch a pot with your hand, use a potholder instead.  Use EXTRA caution chopping and cutting.

Pension Account:

From the pension application of Sylvester Marius, page 9.     Marius later was in John Outwater's company of State troops.  His friend testifying for him, Benjamin Romaine, served with Captain Outwater for several months.  When he mentions "regular troops and years men" he means State troops.

Benjamin Romaine being duly sworn deposes and saith that he became acquainted with Sergeant Sylvester Marius sometime in the early part of the year seventeen and seventy eight and were both in the year service at Hackensack in Bergen county and state of New Jersey, that to his best recollection it was in the spring of the year 1778, information was had that the British were to make a foraging expedition from this city (New York) then in their possession. To some part of New Jersy, and that Hackensack was supposed to be their destination as it very frequently had been and so continued to be during the whole of the Revolutionary war- To the best of deponents recollection two companies were ordered down to the English Neighborhood on the lookout consisting of the regular troops and year men- an advance party of about eighteen men were detailed and ordered to leadthe van under the command of a Lieutenant of the standing troops, of this number was Sergeant Marius and deponent.  The march was through the night and as usual flanks (sic) of two men on each side of the regular road and about 100 yards from it to prevent the main body from a surprise were alternately sent out and relieved at short intervals from additional fatigue of climbing fences.  Sergeant Marius and deponent had only been on that flank march on the left hand of the road a few minutes when passing a barn they were hailed by the British centinels (sic)and instantly fired on at a distance of a few feet.  The baze of light this informed us that they were enemies.  Sylvester fell and I ran to the road and informed our lieutenant that the barn was filled with enemy soldiers.  We all sprang over the fence and soon fired into the barn and received some shots from the enemy as they passed on to the road we had just left.  We made one prisoner who ran to us by mistake.  The conflict which occurred after day light about two miles further down the road was severe.  Our little advance party believe if the main body were not far in our rear as they must have heard the firing, we followed the enemy and were ambushed on the road leading to Bulls Ferry on the Hudson river.  Several were killed and wounded :  our main body had failed to come on and give us aid as expected…..
Benjamin Romaine

Dutch Koolslaw, presented by Jim Smith
1 head cabbage
1/2 onion
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. Crisco oil or olive oil
1/2 c. vinegar
1/2 c. water
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. mustard seed
Shred the cabbage. Cut onion in small pieces. Mix all together all ingredients. Best if made day before and kept in refrigerator.

Copyright, 2012

Outwater's Home